First of all, I just want to say that this will not be a cloth diaper review, but my opinion from experience and the products I currently use.
I was introduced to cloth diapers through Pinterest believe it or not. In 2012 When I was Pregnant with my 3rd child, I signed up for a Pinterest account and one of the first things that I saw was a homemade cloth diaper that someone had sewn. I was in awe and it opened a whole new world right before my eyes.
My sister in law and I were both expecting babies and we decided to buy a lot of cloth diapers off Ebay and split them. That was it I was hooked to trying all the brands lol, well maybe not all of them lol.
In the last 5 years and 3 babies, I have learned a few things about cloth diapers.
- Modern cloth diapers are not your grandmas cloth diapers. They come in all colors and patterns and fabrics and n little plastic pants or sharp safety pins.
- But your grandma didn’t have it ALL wrong. Flat and prefold diapers are still a very good way to go. They hold up amazing and are very absorbent. They will do very well if you plan to have several children. Pair them with a good quality cover like the one pictured above.
3. Microfiber inserts alone, pretty much suck. But if you pair them with something else like bamboo or flour sack towels they are decent.
4. Do your research, and read/watch reviews before you buy. Cloth diapers are an investment. Unless you NEED them immediately and are on a very tight budget don’t buy the cheapest thing. Invest in what has been proven to work and last.
5. Do be afraid to buy used. You can strip the diapers and they’ll be good as new.
6. Your baby will probably need a size bigger pants than with disposable diapers.
7. Some day (or weeks) disposable diapers are sanity savers. I admit to going back and forth more than I should. But I really don’t regret it.
My advice to a new mother planning to have more than one child, is to invest in prefold or workhorse fitted diapers and a really good quality covers.
I currently have a new obsession with GroVia O.N.E. diapers. They are…so fare the perfect night time solution for my 10 month old and 2 year old.
Here is a few websites I know that have free shipping.
There are a lot of sights that have really good deals as well. Search on EBay and your local BST pages.
Please feel free to ask me any questions! About what I use, brands I’ve tried, wash routine, ect…
Happy cloth diapering!